The Lunenburg Town Clerk’s office provides a wide range of public information services to Town Council and community at large in compliance with the Municipal Government Act. Timely and efficient access to information is essential to open government, informed public participation and fairness in government decision making. This is balanced with the requirement to protect individual privacy and certain legal matters also set out in the Municipal Government Act.
The Town Clerk is responsible for:
- Recording the decisions of Council and its Committees.
- Carrying out the duties of municipal corporate Secretary.
- Ensuring security and maintenance of municipal corporate records, e.g., minutes, resolutions, leases, deeds, etc.
- Providing access to Council and other archival records in the Town’s records management program.
- Conducting municipal and School Board election and enumeration functions.
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act duties.
- Assist individuals, groups and organizations, make presentations, applications, petitions, etc. to Town Council and notifying them of the outcome.
These services are offered:
- In-person - the Town Clerk’s office is located at the Lunenburg Town Hall, 119 Cumberland Street, PO Box 129, Lunenburg, NS B0J 2C0. Please call for an appointment.
- Phone – (902) 634-4410, ext. 228/Fax: (902) 634-4416
- Social media – Town of Lunenburg Facebook and Twitter
- Website - www.townoflunenburg.ca
- Council Meetings – regularly scheduled meetings of the Lunenburg Town Council are held on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month at 5:15 p.m. The public is encouraged to attend Council meetings held at the Lunenburg Town Hall, 2nd floor (Lunenburg Court House entrance, 120 Townsend Street) or via live stream on Zoom and/or YouTube. Copies of Council agendas, meeting materials and minutes can be accessed at www.townoflunenburg.ca or by calling the Clerk’s Office at (902) 634-4410, ext. 228. Video archives of Council Meetings are available on the Town's YouTube channel, as above. Additional Council meetings may be scheduled as the need arises and are listed on the Town home page meeting calendar Meeting Schedule.
- Committee Meetings– the Town has several working Committees including Audit, Committee of the Whole, Heritage Advisory, Planning Advisory and Protective Services. Links to these Committees’ agendas, meeting materials and minutes can also be found on Town Government or calling the Clerk’s Office at (902) 634-4410, ext. 228.
- Town Information Management Library – current and historic records including Town Bylaws, maps, etc. of the Town are maintained by the Town Clerk’s Office. Most records are now recorded in digital format and can be found on Town Government.
- Town information kiosks – located on King Street and Bluenose Drive are used to post information about upcoming Council and Committee meetings and other Town activities.