Welcome to Lunenburg
The Town of Lunenburg is very pleased to extend a warm welcome and best wishes to new residents! We’re confident that you will love living here. Lunenburg is known for its small-town charm and progressive outlook.
A significant portion of our community, “Old Town” Lunenburg, is a UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) World Heritage Site and a National Historic District. We are proud of this designation and trust you will be too.
Lunenburg is located in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq people. The Mi’kmaq hunted and fished in this area, then called E'se'katik or "place of clams". By the 1680s, the Acadians had established a small community called Mirligueche. In 1753 the Town of Lunenburg was founded as the first British Colonial settlement in Nova Scotia outside of Halifax. The Town is considered to be the oldest German settlement in Canada.
The Lunenburg settlers were referred to as the "Foreign Protestants" and came from various parts of Germany, Switzerland, and the Montbeliard region of France. A stable economy was built on farming, fishing, shipbuilding and ocean-based commerce, particularly in the West Indies trade.
This Town has continued to thrive with a diversified economy of tourism, manufacturing, creative and service industries, and our working waterfront is still going strong. Lunenburg attracts talented and adventuresome people to live and work here, making for a vibrant community.
The Lunenburg Town Council and staff are available to answer any inquiries you may have about your new hometown. We are committed to providing the highest level of municipal services to the community. Please let us know what more we can do to make Lunenburg the best it can be. Find contacts for Town Council here and staff here.
Thank you for joining our community!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I find job postings?
- Where can I find new business support?
- Where can I find information on local daycares and schools?
- I want to immigrate to Canada - where can I get help?
- How do I find information on finding a Family Physician?
- How do I find out about accessibility options at the Town of Lunenburg?
- How can I contact the Mayor and Town Councillors?
- How can I contact Town staff?
- What recreation programs does the Town offer?
- When are utility and tax bills issued by the Town and how can I pay?
- I want to make repairs/changes to my Town heritage property - do I need Town permits?
- What do I need to know about garbage collection in Lunenburg?
- Is there a dog park in the area?
- Do I need a dog licence in Lunenburg?
- Town of Lunenburg Strategic Plan