Restrictions and Guidance
The Province of Nova Scotia declared a "state of emergency" on March 22, 2020, which ended on March 20, 2022.
Nova Scotia has removed most pandemic restrictions as of March 21, 2022; for more information visit: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/restrictions-and-guidance/
Provincial direction regarding close contact/exposure, with or without symptoms, and what to do if you test positive is available here: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/symptoms-and-testing/
COVID-19 vaccinations and booster shots are available from NS Health for all those aged 5+. COVID-19 vaccination appointments must be made online at https://www.novascotia.ca/vaccination or by phone at 1-833-797-7772.
For current Provincial information on the pandemic: www.novascotia.ca/coronavirus. See "Additional Resources" at the bottom of this page.
Town of Lunenburg Municipal Operations and Closures
In the interest of public health, the following operational changes have been made by the Town. Updates will be posted to this site as our practices change.
Town Hall is once again open to the public. Per Nova Scotia Health guidelines, masking is no longer required but it is requested when visiting the building.
Most Council and Committee meetings are conducted in-person, and will continue to be broadcast on Zoom (accessible by video or telephone; each meeting's link is published in advance) and live-streamed on the Town's YouTube channel. The minutes are posted to the Town website here (Council) and here (Committees), and video recordings remain archived on YouTube for later viewing.
Please note that some Town Hall services, other than the Finance payment counter, are conducted by appointment only. Below is a listing of individual Town Departments and updates.
The Finance payment counter at Town Hall is open daily 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.The accessible entrance side door is available during these hours as well. Masks are requested but not required. The following payment options are also available:
- Online or Telephone Banking. Use the account number from your bill to add a bill payee. Search “Lunenburg” and select the payee needed.
- Bank Payment in Person. Check with your local branch hours
- Drop payment in the mail slot at the front door of Town Hall (119 Cumberland St.). Label with name and account number.
- Cheque or Money Order (payable to the Town of Lunenburg), mail to PO Box 129, Lunenburg, NS, B0J 2C0.
Sign up to access your Town bills through our new e-billing website here: https://townoflunenburg.ca/billing-and-payments.html
Note: There is a washroom on the second floor of Town Hall now available. There is a portable toilet available in the parking lot next door to Town Hall for emergencies.
- Building inspections are scheduled through the Building Inspection Office in Bridgewater at 902-541-1325.
- Burning permits are required for burns other than an outdoor appliance (per below). Fire pits which are no wider than 0.5 m in diameter, and backyard appliances (like chimineas) are permitted for households but must follow the posted burning restrictions updated at 2:00 p.m. daily (https://novascotia.ca/burnsafe/) and take local conditions such as wind into consideration. CSA-approved appliances such as gas barbecues and propane fire pits are also permitted. The use of consumer fireworks is prohibited. For reference, see this link to Lunenburg's pdf Burning Bylaw (127 KB) .
Public Works staff continue to maintain all municipal infrastructure, water and wastewater services. Contact the Public Works Department at 902-634-8992 for more information. In case of emergency after hours, such as loss of water pressure, call 902-527-0150.
- Visit the Town’s Garbage Collection page for the 2022 solid waste collection calendar and more information.
- The Town's municipal compost site is open on Fridays only from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The entrance to the compost site is on Starr Street, near the Wastewater Treatment Plant. Town of Lunenburg residents are welcome to dispose of leaves, limbs and garden waste only at this site.
- The Town's public washroom on Bluenose Drive is CLOSED for the season and scheduled to reopen in May. There is a portable toilet in the parking lot next door to Town Hall for emergencies.
- The Lunenburg Arena is open for the 2021/22 ice season, and features our new ice resurfacer! See here for programs and rental information.
- The Lunenburg Community Centre is open for scheduled programs and rentals. See here for more information. Fitness classes require pre-registration. The Weight Room requires pre-booking your visits.
- The Lunenburg & District Community Pool is closed for the season (please note that the pool is not operated by the Town). Contact the society that operates the pool here: https://www.facebook.com/lunenburgswimmingpool/
- Municipal public parks including the community garden and outdoor soccer field, baseball field, track, and skateboard park, are open.
- Playgrounds are open. Please wash/sanitize hands before and after use. Use at your own risk.
- The Back and Front Harbour Trails are open. Please note that there is NO winter maintenance on the trails.
- The Broad Street Boat Launch has closed for the season.
The Town’s after-hours contact number is 902-527-0150 for any urgent municipal inquiries.
- Government of Nova Scotia: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- The Mental Health Provincial Crisis Line is available 24/7 to anyone experiencing a mental health or addiction crisis, or someone concerned about them, by calling 1-888-429-8167 (toll-free)
- Kids Help Phone is available 24/7, by calling 1-800-668-6868 (toll-free)
- For help or information about domestic violence 24/7, call 1-855-225-0220 (toll-free)
- Government of Canada: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) / toll-free information line 1-833-784-4397
Stay informed and well!