The Town of Lunenburg is proceeding with a phased plan for comprehensive upgrades to its Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) and system.
Town Council’s decision was based on findings from extensive engineering and water studies over the past three years by CBCL Ltd., Dillon Consulting Ltd., and Dalhousie University’s Centre for Water Resource Studies.
CBCL’s final recommended Implementation Plan was presented to Council on September 28, 2021 and approved. Funding opportunities from all levels of government will be pursued.
The Plan incorporates the following three areas:
1. Wastewater Outfall Extension: Relocate the effluent outfall from its current location at Fishermen’s Wharf in the inner harbour to Burma Road at the outer harbour to allow for good dispersion. The Implementation Plan targets 2023/24 for the relocated outfall to be operational.
2. WWTP Near-Term Upgrades: Upgrades needed in the next few years include headworks modifications, building aeration and other maintenance, online instrumentation, polymer pumps, UV disinfection, standby generator, building mechanical upgrades, and flood control.
3. WWTP Long-term Expansion: Transition the plant to a Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR)-based treatment system which does not require polymer use and provides good effluent quality at a reduced operational cost. Strategic separation of stormwater and wastewater sewers along with combatting salt water intrusion will allow for increased capacity as the town grows. It is hoped that the upgraded plant would be operational by 2025/26.
The Council-approved Implementation Plan must be submitted for review to Nova Scotia Environment and Climate Change. Next steps will include conducting geotechnical investigations, developing final engineering designs, and seeking funding.
The Town will also continue public and business education efforts about what not to dump in the wastewater system to improve the quality of influent coming into the plant for better treatment outcomes and fewer repairs.
Lunenburg’s Wastewater Treatment Plant was built in 2003, and is regulated by federal and provincial operating licenses.
- The Implementation Plan document and final reports are available on the Town of Lunenburg website here: https://townoflunenburg.ca/wastewater-treatment.html
- Infographic “Timeline of Wastewater Treatment in the Town of Lunenburg is also available here: https://townoflunenburg.ca/wastewater-treatment.html
- YouTube link to the September 28, 2021 Council Meeting archive video: https://youtu.be/oAPVEIW_Ois