May 11, 2022 – The Town of Lunenburg is investigating the possibility of divesting ownership of Upper King Street PIDs 60057387, 60057379, 60057395, 60579687 and 60057460 into private ownership for private uses, i.e., housing. A map outlining the lots is below.
The process includes a Request for Proposals (RFP) to obtain potential housing development concepts for the lots at Upper King Street. No action from the public is required at this time. There will be ample opportunities for public consultation ahead of any prospective sale of the lands.
Council directed an investigation into the possible divestiture to proceed at their May 10, 2022 meeting. The investigation includes the following elements:
- A legal review for clear title and migration into the Land Registration system, which is standard practice for public lands of this type and location.
- A land survey to identify boundaries and easements for electrical service.
- Parks Canada is the custodian of UNESCO sites in Canada. As the lands under consideration are in the Buffer Zone of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Council intends to notify Parks Canada of the possible divestiture.
- A Request for Proposals (RFP) will be issued for concept proposals.
- Once proposals for the RFP have been received, a Public Information Meeting will be scheduled for consultation.
Further steps to be determined as the process advances. The timeline on these elements will be provided as information becomes available.
To download a PDF copy of this Fact Sheet, click pdf here (838 KB) .
• Agenda and/or Minutes packages re: the Council Meeting of May 10, 2022 containing the staff report on this item can be downloaded here: https://townoflunenburg.ca/council-meetings-2022.html
• The Comprehensive Community Plan is available on the Town website here: https://townoflunenburg.ca/comprehensive-community-plan-ccp.html